Saturday 9 November 2013

50's American Diner Visit

Whilst I've been researching the different types of American diners from the 1950's, I came across a restaurant that is quite close to my home in Nottingham. The 50's American Diner was constructed during 1950 in Elizabeth, New Jersey and is a Jerry O'Mahony brand of dining car. New jersey is quite close to New York City so I thought the design of the diner will be quite similar to those that were popular in NYC at the time. The website link below has more information about the history of the restaurant.

The 50's American Diner Website

Earlier this afternoon, I took a trip out to the diner for lunch. I took my camera with the intention of taking photos of the diner for research and reference purposes but unfortunately when I enquired about taking photos and explaining the project I am doing, I needed the owners' permission to do so, who wasn't available at the time.

The general aesthetic of the diner, both staffs' uniform and decoration and paraphernalia was genuine and combined with the 1950's Rock 'n' Roll music that was playing in the background created a sense of 1950 America.

I enjoyed the diner and the experience very much and have decided to go back near Christmas time to take more photos. Below are the photos I were allowed to take.



No comments:

Post a Comment