Tuesday 26 November 2013

The 50's Film Look

This afternoon I had a catch up conversation with Neil about my film and my progress. I showed him the animation test I did a few weeks back and he really liked the black and white look to William. I decided to see how my other character Betty will look in black and white and went back to my characters in Photoshop and placed a black and white adjustment layer on top of the existing colour turn around.




After experimenting with the colour levels of the adjustment layer I applied and found that reducing the red to make William's hair darker made him look more appealing and slightly more imposing in my mind. I experimented with Betty's colours too but I think the original one I did above works best for her character, both design and personality. 

Over the past couple of weeks especially I have found colour to be difficult to get right, both for characters and layout. I've struggled to get across the emotion the most but I think my colour script gets across the emotion ok.

I'm not too sure on the black and white version as it changes the mood of the story on its head - it's almost a horror at a glance! 


I wanted to see how the general look of my film might look so I did the same as above to my New York City concept.



This was a suggestion from Neil for my film aesthetic. Although it emphasises the 1950's style I am going for, it takes away the setting of my film being set on one of the most celebrated nights all over the world. Because my film is being put together in After Effects, I can apply a black and white adjustment layer to my film during post-production whereas if I illustrated all my assets in black and white, I can't do the opposite where I apply colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment