Sunday 17 November 2013

Research & Development - Chrome Shader in Maya

I applied a grunge metal texture to a the colour node of a Blinn material for the diffuse element of the shader. I also used a stock HDRI of New York City at night for image based lighting.


Next I created a new map in Photoshop by using Levels to create a higher contrast version of the grunge metal texture and applied it to the reflectivity node of the Blinn material


I then applied the same high contrast grunge metal texture to the specularity node


Finally I decreased the diffuse amount to almost zero to create a really shiny high reflective surface and increased the reflectivity to 1 too. 


I will be creating my own HDRI in Photoshop or Illustrator (one of the matte paintings) which will be used in my scene. I enjoyed experimenting with the chrome shader and will return to it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment