Monday 25 November 2013

Pre-Production Research and Influences - Books

During the course of the Pre-Production module, I've found that renting art and design books from the Universities' Library have really helped for inspiration for my film as well as references to design and colours. 

One book I found particularly helpful was Amid Amidi's "Cartoon Modern: Style and Design in Fifties Animation" because of it's variety of design styles as well as information about animation during the 50's. I found the section on United Productions of America's (UPA) later work to be particularly inspiring. For example Jules Engel's "Mister Magoo" backgrounds have a lot of forced perspective in them which inspired me to go for a simplistic, straight edged style to my New York City design. Also the Lew Keller's concept art for John Hubley's "The Four Poster" also inspired me to think about using block shapes for the background buildings in my exterior shots.


Another book that I rented from the library also helped me to think more about character design. Mark Cotta Vaz's "The Art of The Incredibles" was particularly inspiring when it came to thinking about using as little lines as possible to create a simplistic and effective character designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment