Monday 4 November 2013

After Effects Animation Test

Last week we had a formative review of our work so far for the pre-production module. I'm on track with my work but I've still got quite a lot to finish over the next two weeks. One of the things Hillary asked me to do for this Thursday's tutorial session is an animation test. She recommended for me to try the hardest scene in my film because if I can do the hardest scene using the method I am wanting to use for the entirety of my film, then the rest will definitely be do-abble in the time frame we have for production. 

Animation Test References 

The type of animation I am going for is a cut-out / snappy hybrid to create a nice slapstick style. I think it'll work with the fast cut method I'm using for most of my story and I believe I can achieve this in After Effects. 

Charlie and Lola


Although Charlie and Lola is done in CelAction2D, I think I can achieve a cut-out style in After Effects.

Looney Tunes 



I have always been a huge fan of Looney Tunes' slapstick animation and they way they tell their stories. I hope to achieve a slapstick fast cut style of animation in my film.

The Animation Test

I have decided to animate one of the quick cut scenes during the service montage in Act Two of my storyboard. The scene in question is one of the shots where we see William eating his food. I have chosen this particular shot to test animate as there are a lot of things to consider, not just when drawing and setting up the layers in the After Effects composition, but the actual timing and movement of each action he will do.

Today I drew up William in his pose for the test as well as some quick sketches as to what he will be doing. Only his head and both arms and hands will be moving during the shot. Basically, he is going to shove burger after burger into his mouth and chew them in-between shoving the next one in his mouth. He will also turn his head from side to side before shoving each burger in his mouth. 

I'm going to be clever with how I set up the layers in Photoshop. For example, instead of seeing him grab a burger from the huge plate of burgers on the table in front of him, he'll grab one from behind the layer with the plate of burgers. Also, I can repeat the animation of him grabbing a burger, lifting it up in the air and shoving it in his mouth. 



Layers - Character, Props and Environment 

Emotions - Eye and Mouth Shapes

Hand deformation using the puppet tool




Now that I have imported the Photoshop document into After Effects and set up the Pre-Comps, I can now animate William!

No comments:

Post a Comment